- 2 x 120g can Lucky Star Smoked Sardines
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) curry powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) turmeric
- Milled black pepper
- 250ml (1 cup) brown rice
- 375ml (1½ cups) low-sodium vegetable stock (recipe below)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5ml (½ tsp) peppercorns
- Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 1 hour. Cool and strain.
Smoked Sardine Kedgeree
- Drain the sardines.
- Heat a few drops of oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onion until golden. Add the curry powder and turmeric, and a little pepper, and stir for about 15 seconds to sizzle the spices.
- Stir in the rice, then add the stock. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Gently mix in the sardines and heat through.
- Serve topped with quartered hard-boiled eggs.
If you prefer, use two cans of Lucky Star Tuna in this recipe instead of sardines. This is a great breakfast dish. Instead of using hard-boiled eggs, poach fresh eggs and serve on top of the kedgeree.