- 2 x 120g cans Lucky Star Sardines
- 2 mealies
- 1 small, crisp lettuce
- 1 red or yellow pepper cored, seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ cup oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Drain the sardines. Break the fish into strips.
- Cut the mealies into ‘wheels’. Cook for about 15 minutes until tender in a saucepan of boiling water. Drain.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate with the sardines, mealie wheels and pepper strips.
- Whisk the ingredients together in a small jug. Pour over the salad shortly before serving.
Lucky Star Sardines are high in protein, which plays a role in protecting the body against disease.
Mealies (also known as sweetcorn and maize) grow throughout the year, but are at their best in summer. Mealies should be eaten as soon as possible after picking as the sugar quickly converts to starch, so the sweetness is lost. When shopping for mealies choose perfect specimens with plump, glossy kernels.