Potato Pie Crust
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
Pilchard And Vegetable Filling
- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 2 onions, chopped
- Oil for frying
- 2 Tbsp cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen or canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
To Make The Pie Crust
- Grease a pie dish measuring about 27cm in diameter. Cook the potatoes in salted, boiling water until soft.
- Drain well, then mash with the butter or margarine and eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the baking powder.
- Spread the mashed potato into the pie dish to line the base and sides. Heat the oven to 180°C.
To Make The Filling
- Drain the pilchards and separate into fillets; keep the sauce.
- Fry the onion in a little oil in a medium saucepan until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour and milk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 2 minutes until the sauce is thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the corn, carrots and parsley, then stir in the beaten egg and tomato sauce from the can of pilchards.
- Spoon the filling into the potato crust and arrange the pilchard fillets on top. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until piping hot. Serve with vegetables or a salad.
For a spicier alternative, you can use Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce or Lucky Star Pilchards in Chilli Sauce.