- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Cake flour
- Lettuce leaves and sliced tomato
- Drain and mash the pilchards; keep the sauce if you wish to serve it with the fishcakes.
- Cook the potatoes in salted, boiling water until soft. Drain well, mash, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the pilchards, mashed potato, beaten eggs, onion and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Form into six patties on a floured board and dust well with flour.
- Fry the fishcakes in shallow oil until crisp and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the fishcakes on plates with lettuce leaves and sliced tomato. Pilchard sauce from the can may be offered too.
Don’t throw away pilchard bones! They are full of calcium, which is essential for strong, healthy bones, teeth and hair. The bones in Lucky Star Pilchards are so soft that even a toddler can eat them.