- 400g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato
- ½ cup cake flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- Mixed lettuce leaves
- 4 tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- Drain the pilchards; keep the sauce. Season the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Lightly beat the egg in another shallow dish. Dip each pilchard into beaten egg, then coat with seasoned flour.
- Shallow fry quickly in hot oil until crisp and golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves and tomato on a large plate, or on individual plates.
- Arrange the pilchards alongside the salad and drizzle with a little of the sauce from the can of pilchards.
To Make The Salad Dressing
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a small jug with a fork. Pour the dressing over the salad, or offer separately.
Crispy Fried Pilchards are also delicious with chips or mashed potato.